Saturday, January 21, 2012

The waiting game...

Officially less than two weeks to go to my due date and the nursery is finally ready for baby ... now we are just waiting on her arrival. Sorry I don't have a before picture to share but imagine a 8’ x 10’ sparsely decorated white  room with a futon for overnight guest and a small IKEA malm dresser. Since I'm not really into "themes" for a nursery I just decided to decorate around a aqua and yellow color scheme with bright accents that could be updated as she grows. We started with painting the walls in SW6477 Tidewater, a light aqua that didn’t remind me too much of toothpaste. The furniture consists of a secondhand crib from our neighbors, a $30 craigslisted dresser/changing table which was painted in Behr 3004-B Sunporch, and a rocking chair we used in Ivan’s room (another $30 craigslist find a couple years ago) that I finally finished reupholstering on the cheap using a canvas painter’s drop cloth.



The crib bedding is a simple yellow sheet and DIY crib skirt (no fancy bumpers required). The crib skirt I made out of Ann Kelle Remix Zig Zag fabric in Bremuda. I cheated and only did two sides since the other two sides are up against the wall. I simply attached hemmed panels to the mattress support with iron on velcro.



The room also got a little baby-proofing upgrade as well with a black-out roller shade and DIY window cornice to replace the horizontal blind and while the outlet covers were off for painting we replaced all of the outlet receptacles with new tamper-resistant ones (YEAH for not needing to fuss with outlet covers!).


Here are the results of each side of the room and a few close-ups of some of the hand-made elements.











No comments:

Post a Comment